Friday, May 1, 2015

Mawwiage

I'm a survivor. Of marriage. I won't say how many, but I have rice marks on my back and Elizabeth Taylor is nervous. I didn't want to remarry the last few times but circumstance and my own weakness of character prevailed. I'm not that weak anymore.
Dear What Doesn't Kill Me, you made me really strong!
And I know my own experiences, plus others', have made me cynical regarding the entire institution. Every time I see or hear of a wedding I long to scream, "DON'T DO IT! IT'S A TRAP! YOU'LL REGRET IT BEFORE THE HOUR ENDS!" But I don't because it is their choice to make, and affects me not the least bit.
Which is my point about gay marriage, everyone is in a snit about. Who cares what gender someone is? Anyone has just as much right to make each other miserable as anyone else and gender doesn't matter. I promise. If anything anyone else does or says affects "the foundations of marriage" for you, then the problem was already there and it's your mess to clean up. Clean it up & get out, stay, or shut up.
And that brings me to Ann Wilson of Heart. Didn't see that one coming, did you? She just got married to some finance guy. I don't remember his name or know anything about their courtship, and it isn't relevant (besides being none of my business). What is relevant is their occupations. She sings, and he diddles money (technical high finance term. Shh). But we all know at some point, he will whine, "You never sing for me anymore," to which she will reply in tears, "You only love me for my song!"
Or the other way around, "You never buy 3rd world countries for me anymore..." Okay maybe not.
But it will happen and you know what? Shut up. You were attracted by her singing, admit it, but that isn't why you claim to love her so shut up. And you have used his love of your music to get your way about something, don't lie, Ann, so shut up.
Yes, I do know. I'm an expert on what not to do in a marriage, remember?
But this really applies to everyone, regardless of gender (See what I did there?) or primary occupation. If you commit to anyone, legally or formally or simply by promise, and know exactly what they do and who they are, you have no right to whine when they continue to do and be that. If your ability to embrace that aspect changes, admit that and apologize, then bow out gracefully.
Srsly

No comments:

Post a Comment