Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Grow a pair, already!

I read. A lot. For a living, for relaxation, to expand my mind.
There is a very disturbing trend of weak female protagonists. The first time I came across one of these, I spewed a flurry of f-bombs that woke the dog. "What the everloving fuck? You fucking weak fucking bink, don't let that fucking bitch talk to you like that! Tell her to fuck off and die!" I railed. Then, I kept seeing it. These weak women who actually swoon at the sight of blood (excuse me, doesn't anyone else know that the average woman sees far more blood in a month than most men do a lifetime?), allow their intrusive families and friends to dictate their dating/mating habits, fold to any bit of pressure, and are generally just wusses.
Simone de Beauvoir. Betty Friedan. Helen Gurly Brown. Hell, Scarlett O Freakin' Hara and Miss Marple had more balls than these shoe-obsessed literary women.
Those are the women I admired, not some limp lass who allows her family to set her up on blind dates, even though she is in an "almost relationship" with the studly guy. What the hell kind of weak, lame message is this sending to the younger generations??
I'll remind my generation and tell the younger generations now:
Grow a pair, or a spine, or something. Be strong. Be unafraid. Be alone and okay, or with your equal and okay, but you have to be better than is currently being written of women.
You just have to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment