Monday, November 2, 2015

Just... bullshit.

Yes, I call it.
Nobody should ever say:
You are strong enough; you can do this by yourself!
That is the worst thing you can say to anybody, ever.
And we all say it - especially to women friends who are suddenly going it alone.
You're all wrong. Well-meaning, but wrong.
I've been married, divorced, widowed, and just plain old don't want anybody, and I'm here to tell you, nobody makes it alone. Friends. The ones we call family, not mere relatives. Total strangers. They are vital.
Have them.
But never tell anyone they are strong enough to "go it alone," because nobody does, and that's just a shitty thing to say.
This post?
Was supposed to be about something else - why I'm not a writer - but stuff happened, and... yeah. Tomorrow. Or not.
Have friends. Be one.
Accept "The kindness of strangers," because sometimes, that is all you can get.
And by the way?
It's okay to need help, sometimes. It's okay to accept help. It's okay to ask for help. And when you can? Give it. Freely. Without expectation of return, in any way. You've probably been a jerk at some point in your life, so if you can't accept paying forward, then for fucks sake, pay it back.
And why I'm not a writer? Actually not worthy of a whole blog post. Turns out by the time I have the story (or blog post) clearly enough in my mind to put something into words, I know the story so I'm not interested in it anymore. I do better sitting down like this and just spewing out some things and hoping they make some sort of sense later. Very few writers manage to turn out anything worth reading this way. I don't kid myself I could do it for an entire coherent novel. So while I am not gifted with the ability, nor the self-discipline, needed to write for others, I am blessed with the ability to recognize great writing from others, and help coax it from them.
It's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment