Saturday, September 12, 2015

Let him eat steak!

I recently mentioned on facebook I was going to throw a couple of steaks on the grill - 1 for my dog and 1 for me. I immediately received a message admonishing me against this, and lecturing me on animal nutrition, etc.
My initial polite reaction was, "Fuck you, you don't feed me or my dog, or pay my bills." I didn't send that.
My secondary response was, "Thank you for your concern."
What I really want to say is this:
I know. Okay? I know a dog's nutrition isn't covered by a steak. I didn't also list the steamed veggies and potatoes that would also be part of his (and my) meal, because that doesn't make for a pithy fb status.
I also know my dog. You don't.
I adopted Geo (yes, he was named for a gravity bong but no, I didn't name him) when his alleged human father had to go to jail for a few months and it was bitter cold, but he had nowhere for Geo to go.
He has been my baby ever since.
Geo was chased with a vaccuum, slung against walls, starved for both food and love when I got him. He would eat any and every food, because that was what he lived - scrabbling to survive and I can empathize - eating anything to stay alive except dog food because he was never given it. Why spend money on dog food when that could buy beer? That was how he was raised until I found him.
I used to get up at 7 am and cook for Geo, real food - sometimes eggycheesygoodness, and once I even made beef wellington for him but that was a long story/rare situation/bar bet.
But Geo won't eat dog food. Except Blue Buffalo, and only that about twice a week. He will eat kitty food occasionally, which makes sense as he truly believes he is part cat. Brat and Rags do not discourage his puppycatness.
But Geo has never gotten past his cringing when even I reach to pet him if I reach overhand toward his head, running to hide under the bed or sofa when there is a loud noise, or refusing to eat dog food. I suspect something regarding dog food and abuse of which I am not aware happened in his pre-me past. Good thing, because I know where the son of a bitch who did all that to him is, and I don't want to go back to the joint.
But all this is in aid of saying, I'm about to take steaks off the grill for my dog and me, and screw you if you don't like it.
Did I mention I also put shrimp on there for my cats?

No comments:

Post a Comment