Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Funeral Giggles


Here's more horrible news. Another dear long-time friend has died. This one was by no means natural. Entirely unnatural, to be honest. She was on her motorcycle and was hit by someone in an SUV. I'm told as she lay bleeding in the gutter before help could arrive she heard the SUV driver sobbing and she said, "Stop crying, it will be alright."

Hurt enough yet?

I'm just getting started.

It wasn't even her first time being hit by a cager. She was still recovering from the last time 5 years ago. And from battling cancer and winning.

I first met my friend on a motorcycle riders' forum. She called riding, "wind dancing," and I was enchanted. In fact I don't think I recall her ever saying, "riding," only, " 'dancing' " for short.

She was funny, intelligent, witty, well-read, compassionate, loving, always always always thinking of others first. She was such a surprise. She was retired Navy, used to repair submarines! Those of us who were lucky to know her never doubted, she was an angel. And she loved animals. I couldn't even begin to name all of her rescue kitties, but I knew some. The current pair, AB & BB are lost without her. So is her husband of 33 years, whom she always referred to as, "my sweetheart."

No surprise to anyone who knows me, but she also wrote. Vignettes of travel, of course, her 'dancing diary, but also stories of her childhood, particularly her mom. I kept meaning to make her a butterscotch pie like her mom made, but life got away from me. From her.

My favorite thing to do was make her laugh. It hasn't been easy the past 8 days to laugh, but I have always had what she called, "funeral giggles." I see the bizarre, funny, obscure in almost everything, and my stars but we laughed!

Huh. That's a first for me. I was going to end this with something to laugh at for my sweet wind-dancing friend, but I have nothing. Nada. Empty on the humor tank. Wait. BratCat just pooped so badly his own eyes are watering and THAT is funny!

I love you, Carol.


No comments:

Post a Comment